The Basilica of San Prospero is a religious building located in Piazza San Prospero, in the heart of the historic center of Reggio Emilia. It is dedicated to the patron saint of the city. An eminent testimony of the Emilian baroque, it is located in the center of Reggio Emilia and houses, under the high altar, the remains of the saint translated from the monastery of the same name dedicated to him, located outside the city walls and demolished during the XVI century on the occasion of the "cut" (demolition of buildings adjacent to the walls for about 600 meters) desired for defensive reasons. Around the year 1000 Reggio was only a small castrum, surrounded by walls and palisades. On the ruins of the Roman Regium, as confirmed by a mosaic and other ruins found during some excavations, the bishop Teuzone raised the church of San Prospero di Castello, to distinguish it from that in the village outside the walls, and in 997 the church was consecrated by Gregory V. In 1487 the tower was demolished and, between 1536 and 1570, designed by Cristoforo Ricci and Giulio Romano, it was rebuilt. In 1514, the now ruined basilica was demolished. The Commune entrusted the project of the reconstruction to Luca Corti and to Matteo Fiorentino, but when the church was almost ready, in 1523, the foundations of the main chapel gave way. In 1527 it was finished and in 1543 the minor chapels were completed and the Basilica was finally re-consecrated. However, the façade remained unfinished, which was later erected by G. B. Cattani between 1748 and 1753.
Piazza di S.Prospero Reggio Emilia (Reggio Emilia)