The Castle of Brescia dominates the Cidneo hill, facing the historical center of the city. The Cidneo is a block of liassic rock belonging to the block of the Maddalena and Ronchi mountains. The Cidneo is seen in the Brescia foothills line from Iseo to Brescia and from Brescia to Gavardo.
The castle is surrounded by a green quadrilateral covered with many trees and surrounded by defensive walls. The heart of the castle is the Mastio built by the Visconti of Milan in the first half of the fourteenth century. The building has a rectangular base with crenellated walls, today it houses the civic Museum of Arms "Luigi Marzoli" where are visible some unique pieces of artillery of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, has a rectangular plan, erected on the foundations and the remains of a temple Roman of the first century AD.
Beyond the entrance door, to reach the Keep you have to cross a drawbridge at the Tower of Prisoners. The tower, articulated on three levels in casemate equipped with a radial gunship is the only one non opening aperture for the artillery, even light; The castle complex also includes several other towers, the Tower of the French, divided into three upper levels and a fourth underground; the Mirabella Tower, cylindrical in shape, is considered the only building of the communal age; the Torre di Mezzo and the Torre Coltrina attributed to the engineer Jacopo Coltrino, from which it takes its name, is located in the area of the castle; cylindrical in shape with a high truncated-conical level, it is disposed on two levels and is connected to a covered gun-barrel vault.
Inside the castle complex there are also the Oil warehouses, dating back to the Roman period, the Piccolo and Grande Miglio, buildings erected between 1597 and 1598 and used as grain warehouses. They are constructions with a rectangular plan with a piano covered with vaulted ceilings and with wall hangings in squared polished metal blocks. The Grande Miglio is today the seat of the civic Museum of the Risorgimento. We also find the Fort and the Soccorso road, a "back door" that accepts the besieged to receive help from the outside.
In the square of the left wing of the Castle, there is also the monument to the Locomotive which takes place events of cultural and cinematographic character, a real steam locomotive, the famous N ° 1 of the Brescia-Edolo Railway and the Ferromodellistic models of the Club Ferromodellistica Bresciano.