The Trevi Fountain is the largest and one of the most famous fountains in Rome; it is also one of the most famous fountains in the world.
The fountain, designed by Nicola Salvi is laid out on one side of Palazzo Poli, was begun by Nicola Salvi in 1732 and completed in 1762 by Giuseppe Pannini and belongs to the late Baroque. The fountain was built with travertine, marble, plaster, stucco and metals.
The history of the fountain is closely linked to that of the restoration of the Aqua Virgo, or the aqueduct of the Virgin Water, which dates back to the times of Emperor Augustus: in fact the architect Marco Vipsanio Agrippa brought the current water of the river Aniene to Campo Marzio, to feed the desired baths and completed by Agrippa himself, who also owes the building of the Pantheon. The aqueduct was more than twenty kilometers long, almost all underground.