Piazzale Michelangelo in Florence is the most famous observation point of the city scene, reproduced in countless postcards and obliged destination of tourists visiting the city.
It was built in 1869 on the design of the architect Giuseppe Poggi on a hill just south of the historic center, to complete the redevelopment works on the left bank of the Arno.
The square, dedicated to the great Renaissance artist Michelangelo, presents copies of some of his famous works preserved in Florence: the David and the four allegories of the Medici Chapels of San Lorenzo. These copies are made of bronze, while the originals are all in white marble. The monument was brought up by nine pairs of oxen on 25 June 1873.
Poggi also designed the neoclassical style loggia that dominates the entire terrace and which today houses a panoramic restaurant. Originally it was supposed to house a museum of Michelangelo's works, never built. In the wall of the balcony, located under the loggia, there is an epigraph in large letters that recalls his work: Giuseppe Poggi Florentine architect turn around here is his monument MCMXI.
The panorama embraces the heart of Florence, from Forte Belvedere to Santa Croce, passing through the bridges and bridges of Florence in sequence, especially the Ponte Vecchio; the Duomo, the Palazzo Vecchio, the Bargello and the octagonal bell tower of the Badia Fiorentina stand out, not forgetting the opposite hills to the north of the city with the center of Fiesole and Settignano.
The Piazzale can be accessed by car along the tree-lined Viale Michelangelo, built in those same years, or by walking up the monumental stairways called Rampe del Poggi from Piazza Poggi in the district of San Niccolò.